Friday, June 26, 2009

MICHAEL JACKSON, SUPERSTAR!

Above, the cover of the CD version of the PPF produced Internet Radio Michael Jackson special, circa 2001.


Every man and his dog will be writing cliche ridden blogs about the passing of Michael Jackson today.  

This is my take.

At some ungodly time early this morning I was awoken by a mail message from Yuka. Simply written in Japanese
it said "Michael Jackson has died!, true!!" I read it twice to make sure I understood, shot out of bed and flicked on
the radio, TV and computer in that order. 

The Superstar is dead!
I remember when Elvis died, and John Lennon, Princess Di. The mass outpouring of grief that followed the news of those three
was what I expected to see.  Instead CNN was showing footage of people outside the hospital singing his songs, smiling and dancing. 
Not the reaction I expected. Maybe it will come later.

The world has lost an icon, and for that I am sad.

The world has lost a superstar, and I really think that we will never see the likes of MJ ever again. The internet has changed our views and 
entertainment values. It used to be that the music industry was THE Entertainment Industry. Instead, thanks to the ease of communication via
the internet we are left with plentiful mediocrity, and there will never be that single focus like we saw in years gone by. 

No one moved like Michael, his videos HAD to be seen. 

I didn't believe all the stories about him. The media had a field day with him for too long.  As a child he was expected to act and work like an adult, as an adult he had 
a belated childhood. Nothing wrong with that!  Most toys and action figures are bought by adults for themselves these days. And if he was rich enough to do what he wanted to
do, and be what he wanted to be, well, all the best to him. Who are we to judge? 

I saw Michael Jackson in December 1996 at Tokyo Dome on the HiStory Tour. It was spectacular, it was pure entertainment from word go!
The music, the dancing, the sets, the lighting, the special effects, the entire vibe! It was brilliant.  It was to become his last world tour.
I was happy to hear he was on the come back, that 50 live shows scheduled for London had sold out! That was impressive!  People still loved him and his music.
If he had announced Japan as a destination on his farewell tour, I'd have been there!  

Forget the scandals, the rumours, the jokes, the plastic surgery and the problems, remember the music, and the feel good times that Michael provided.

No comments:

Post a Comment